Non-Rollins Programs

We encourage Rollins students to look at the Rollins Approved Semester and Summer Programs first, since those are the programs we have reviewed, selected and even developed.  However, Rollins students are allowed to participate on programs through other institutions and study abroad providers, as long as they understand the following policies and obtain the appropriate approvals before going abroad.

  1. Transfer of credits is not guaranteed on a non-Rollins program—students must obtain approvals from Student Records and from the relevant departments if they hope to fulfill specific requirements.  Credits will be processed as transfer credits.  Please go to Academic Policies for full details and procedures.
  2. Financial Aid and institutional scholarships cannot be applied to a non-Rollins program.
  3. Students must still apply through International Programs.
  4. Students participating in a non-Rollins semester program must take a leave of absence from Rollins—International Programs will assist students in processing the necessary paperwork.
  5. Students will pay all costs directly to the program sponsor or provider; however, students are required to pay a $550 administrative fee for a semester program and $150 administrative fee for a summer program. Payments will be posted to a student's Bursar account.
  6. International Programs provides advising, basic pre-departure support, but does not cover emergency or medical insurance for students participating on a non-Rollins programs.
  7. Costs vary widely so research carefully to make sure you understand all the costs associated with a program—what is included in program fees and tuition, and what additional costs you may be responsible for.

Finding a Program

You can use the search engines on this page to start browsing programs.  There are a lot of options out there so don’t let yourself get overwhelmed.  The staff at International Programs can help you search for an appropriate program—we have lots of experience and are familiar with most large providers and we have learned a lot about the programs that have been popular with Rollins students in the past. 

If you are searching through programs on your own and find one that you wish to pursue, make sure to do your homework and make sure the program provides strong academics and good student support.  We recommend contacting the institution and/or provider and asking to be put in contact with a recent participant. Make sure you understand the program details—housing, costs, course options.  Ask questions about student health and safety—a reputable program should be able to provide you with all the information you need, even if they can’t answer your questions right away.

International Internships

If you are considering an international internship, the procedures will vary depending on what your specific situation.

  • If you are an international student (F-1 Visa) interning in your home country with a specific employer you have already identified and confirmed with, and you wish to enroll in the Rollins Academic Internship Course, you will submit registration paperwork to Career Services and will need to pay the associated matriculation fee.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen interning with a specific employer you have already identified and confirmed with, and you wish to enroll in the Rollins Academic Internship Course, you will need to submit registration paperwork to Career Services and pay the associated matriculation fee.  IP staff can provide additional advising and materials about living and working abroad.
  • If you plan to do an international internship through a non-Rollins program (e.g., Boston University) and wish to transfer the internship credit back to Rollins, you must apply in RIPA and via the specific internship program provider and pay the $25 application fee and a matriculation fee.  IP will provide you with advising, pre-departure orientation and assistance.

Looking for an Internship:

  • If you want an internship through a study abroad program, the links and search engines on this page will be your best resource.
  • Career Services has many resources available for both jobs and internships.
  • International Internship Directory produced by Michigan State University