Health and Safety

About Health and Safety

Rollins College considers the safety of its students a top priority. We require every student who studies abroad, regardless of the program type and sponsor, to attend a pre-departure orientation during which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed. In addition, we provide all students with our Pre-departure Guide, which has a wealth of detailed health and safety information, and with current health and safety advisories for international travel.  Students participating on Rollins Semester and Summer Programs also receive a Program Handbook with details particular to each program. 

Useful Websites

The following government websites provide valuable tips and information to help ensure that the study abroad experience is a safe one. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information:

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. U.S. embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. U.S. embassies can assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, receiving federal benefits, filing U.S. tax forms, and can re-issue lost, stolen, or damaged passports. STEP registration is voluntary, free of charge, and can be an important component of your travel planning and security.

      To Register:

  • Go to
  • Create an account by clicking on the "Create an Account" link and following the instructions provided.
  • Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips to register with a specific U.S. embassy or consulate. Follow through the pages, and complete as much information as you have available.
  • You will then receive a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.
  • You may also download the Smart Traveler App to have the latest information on the go:

Health and Emergency Insurance Through International Programs

All Rollins students participating in study abroad, regardless of program type or sponsor, should have health and emergency insurance coverage for all the areas in which they will travel. In general, when using health insurance internationally, students will need to pay out of pocket for all costs, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Students should ensure they have all relevant information for their insurance policy (i.e. contact information, website, ID, policy and group numbers, claim procedures, etc.) so that they are prepared for any medical requirements while abroad. 


International Programs purchases full medical, emergency, and repatriation coverage for all students studying abroad through Rollins Programs (semester, summer and field study) through CISI.  CISI can make payments directly to providers outside the U.S.  However, in some situations, students may need to pay for expenses out-of-pocket, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Please contact International Programs for full policy information.

      Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI):

  • General Questions and Assistance: 1-800-303-8120
  • Policy Number: 12 GLMN04964810, ROLLINS COLLEGE
  • Medical Providers, call: 1-203-399-5130 (in the U.S.)
  • Submit Claims: CISI, River Plaza, 9 W. Broad St., Stamford CT 06902
  • Students should present the ID card at time of service so that payment can be made directly if possible
    • Access list of providers and other resources
    • Print ID cards
    • Submit claims electronically
    • Link to personal security assistance through EuropAssist
    • Assists with medical referral, prescription drug replacement, insurance verification, lost luggage tracking, replacement of lost documents, locating legal services, etc.
    • Also coordinates emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, and security evacuation
    • From the U.S.: 1-877-577-9504 (24hrs)
    • From abroad: +1-240-330-1520 (24hrs)
    • Your Team Assist ID# is 11 GLM N04964810
  • Plan Overview:
    • Basic Medical up to $100,000 with zero deductible
    • Medical Evacuation up to $100,000
    • Repatriation/Return of Mortal Remains up to $50,000
    • Nervous or mental disorders up to $2,000 for outpatient and $5,000 for inpatient
  • Exclusions Overview:
    • Pre-existing conditions (however, benefits up to $5,000 for loss due to a pre-existing condition are covered)
    • Injuries from professional athletics, mountaineering with ropes and guides, hang gliding, parachuting, bungee jumping, horse/motorcycle or motor vehicle racing and parasailing
    • Injuries connected with war, uprising, strikes, riots, rebellion, etc.

      Health Insurance for Non-Rollins Programs:

  • If you are participating in a Non-Rollins program, your regular Rollins student insurance should provide very basic coverage for medical, medical emergency, and repatriation services. In addition, your host institution or provider may purchase coverage on your behalf - be sure to ask if medical and emergency insurance is included in your program costs. If you are participating in a Non-Rollins program and have your own coverage, make sure it will cover you internationally and make sure to carry all important insurance documents and information (ID numbers etc.) with you abroad. You should know how to use your insurance while abroad and should know how to access insurance information (i.e. via phone or online). In general, you will need to pay for expenses out-of-pocket, and then submit a claim to your insurance company for reimbursement. Therefore, if you receive any healthcare services abroad, keep all the paperwork so that you have the necessary documentation for reimbursement. 
  • If you do not have adequate coverage through your host institution or provider, or through your own health insurance policy, you may request IP to purchase coverage on your behalf at no additional cost.

    • Rollins Health Insurance Policy for Students: Collegiate Risk Management
    • Call: 1-800-922-3420
    • Policy Number: CFL206F
    • Oriana Jimenez, Human Resources Specialist: 1-407-646-2003
    • Claim Procedures:
      • Written proofs of loss (itemized bills) must be furnished within 90 days from the date of loss.
      • A claim form is not required.
      • Mail the claim to P.O. Box 727, Bollinger Insurance Solutions, Short Hills, NJ 07078-0727
      • Call: 1-866-267-0092 (for information on claims and coverage)